If you’re in the market for a new turntable you have many options. They include the Jensen JTA-230. This is an extremely popular turntable, although you should have all the important facts before you decide whether or not to purchase the unit. It’s important to consider all the pros and cons before you decide whether or not to purchase the unit. Here are some important facts that will help you to make the right choice when deciding if it’s the right unit for you.
1. It’s a low-budget record player. This is definitely a key issue to consider when considering the unit. You thus shouldn’t expect to get top-notch performance or high-fidelity sound. That said, the unit is quite affordable, so it’s important to consider the value that the unit provides in terms of the price. In fact, you mind find out that the unit provides more than you expected considering the price. However, it really depends on each consumer. It’s critical to weigh the pros and cons of the unit, including the features it provides, and the general value that the device provides.
2. It includes basic features. The Jensen JTA-230 is a 3-speed stereo record player. It includes built-in speakers as well as an adjustment for speed. It should be considered an entry-level turntable at a low/affordable price. It’s actually the perfect product for people who are on a shoestring budget, and need a record player that’s simple to use and set up. On the other hand, if they’re looking for a more complex unit there are other options they should consider. The choice should include the purpose of the turntable. If you need a unit with many features and applications then you should probably consider a different unit. However, if you want a basic unit then this would probably be a good choice.
3. It’s good for first-time users. The unit is a good option for people who are first-time turntable users, or are looking for a stand-alone player. It’s a good option if you want to transfer records to your CPU, in order to transfer the music to a digital format. On the other hand, if you’re a fan of high-fidelity music then this unit would probably be the wrong choice. In that case you should consider units that are more high-end, which will in turn have a higher price tag.
4. It includes a ceramic cartridge. This is a common feature among record players that are compact and inexpensive units. The cartridge is also known as a piezoelectric pickup. The reason ceramic cartridges are used is because they’re powerful, and less expensive than the magnetic pickups. Such low-cost turntables are usually lighter, less durable, as well as less table. This results in external vibrations that work with the record player.
Another issue is that ceramic cartridges also have a lower sensitivity to extra noises that enter the system via the pickup. This helps the units to keep outside noise less easy to pick up during the unit’s playback. In the case the player has a magnetic pick-up, the sound would likely be noisier. That’s due to outside noises and vibration made by built-in speakers.
However, a drawback of ceramic cartridges is that the stylus is more likely to get out of the groove when low frequencies are played. As a result the stylus could skip when music with a powerful bass is played or there’s a quick change in volume. That includes music that’s driven via drums and bass.
The skipping issue can be fixed by putting a penny atop the cartridge since the unit doesn’t include a counter-balance. AS a word of caution, be aware that the added tracking weight results in faster wearing out of the stylus and the record itself.
5. It’s a self-contained record player. No external speakers, amplifier, etc. are needed. It can also be used as a stereo system for connecting devices including MP3 player and iPod.
6. It has decent sound quality. As an entry level unit should be noted that the sound isn’t excellent. However, the sound isn’t bad if it’s not turn up high. That’s likely to avoid feedback to the stylus from the speakers. Also, the sound isn’t distorted when the volume is at its maximum level.
It ended up on the list of the best turntable so it is definitely a good turntable, especially for a beginner in the turntable game. 🙂